When is it ok to talk about salary and benefits?
We’ve all been coached that the interview is NOT about you–it’s about making sure your future employer believes you are the answer to all of their problems, right? Yes, but there ARE ways to inquire about salary, benefits, work schedule and other details during the interview process without sounding completely self serving. Here are our tips on navigating these sticky questions:
- If you are working with an internal or external recruiter, use them as a broker to help you gain insight
- Ask for a benefit overview after your initial meeting
- Bring up savings plans during the final stages of the interview process
- Hybrid and work remote options should weigh into your salary ask
- Always offer to take planned time off without pay – you probably won’t have to – but ask anyway
- Ask about culture with the question “How would you describe your team’s personality?”
These sticky questions are tough to navigate, but necessary in order for you to evaluate a new position. By carefully positioning your questions, you’ll bet the information you need, while maintaining your stardom-ness in the yes of your next manager.